If you're shopping for a home inspector here are some questions to ask your potential inspector:
- Are you licensed? This is kind of a trick question as there is currently no licensing of Home Inspectors in the State of Minnesota.
- Do you belong to a trade association? We are Certified Home Inspectors through ASHI. ASHI Certified Inspectors are the only home inspectors who have completed a recognized
certification process. There are less than 60 ASHI
Certified Inspectors servicing the Minneapolis / St. Paul area.
- Is your business registered with the State of Minnesota? Minnesota Home Inspectors is a Registered Business in good standing with the State of Minnesota.
- Is your report a handwritten checklist? All MHI reports are computer generated with professional software and include digital photos. Compare our previously owned home sample report or new home sample report with their sample report (if they even have
- Will I receive my report the same day? All MHI reports are available the same day. Even at the inspection if necessary.
- How many inspections have you performed? Never ask how long they've been in business as they could be inspecting homes part time and only inspected 500 homes in the past 10
years. Our inspectors have inspected thousands of homes, full time, for the past several years, throughout the Twin Cities.
- Can I attend the inspection? Yes, you are welcome to attend the full inspection. Be aware the inspection will typically take 3 to 4 hours and children will be
- Do you charge by the square foot? At Minnesota Home Inspectors we do. It's really none of our business what you're paying for your home and the purchase price has nothing to
do with the amount of work we have to do during the inspection.
- Do you utilize a thermal imaging device? We utilize a FLIR handheld thermal imaging camera to assist us in finding water leaks and hot electrical connections...at no extra
- Is my personal information safe? Many home inspectors will sell your name and contact information to alarm companies, home warranty companies and recall notification
companies. Minnesota Home Inspectors will never sell or give your personal information to anyone, ever.
- Do you include Carbon Monoxide testing? All home inspections done through Minnesota Home Inspectors include carbon monoxide testing of gas burning appliances utilizing
professional HVAC testing equipment.
- Do you include a visual examination for mold? If we see or smell mold during the inspection, it gets reported in the inspection report. If you would like further mold
testing, we can do that too, for an additional fee. That being said, the Minnesota Department of Health does not recommend mold testing. They state,"If you can see or smell mold
in your home, you know you have a mold problem." https://www.health.state.mn.us/mold